History of St. Pauls
Untitled-5
1848
The first Episcopal priest in Oregon, The Rev. St. Michael Fackler, reached the Oregon Territory by working his way west driving the first flock of sheep to Oregon. He became a teacher and then principal at the Oregon Institute (now Willamette University) and the first rector of St. Paul’s, Salem.
 
1849
Fr. Fackler received land from Dr. W. H. Willson, founder of Salem, on which to build a church, at the corner of Chemeketa
and Church streets, where the first St. Paul’s Church was built. 
 
1853
In May the first Episcopal services were held in Salem and by August of 1854, construction was begun on St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, the third Episcopal church structure in the Oregon Territory. 
 
1855
Bishop Scott consecrated St. Paul’s Episcopal Church. The congregation met in the gableroofed gothic revival building with a square belfry tower and pointedarched windows for the next 70 years before it was used as the parish hall for another 30 years.
 
1922
After moving the first church to the back of the lot, the second St.  Paul's Church was built in the Tudor style with parapet gables and a cross-shaped floor plan at the corner of Chemeketa and Church streets.
 
 
Untitled-61922
After moving the first church to the back of the lot, the second St. Paul's Church was built in the Tudor style with parapet gables and a cross-shaped floor plan at the corner of Chemeketa and Church streets.
 
1953
The rapidly expanding parish built the third St. Paul's Church among native oaks at the corner of Liberty and Myers streets, across
from Bush Park. This is the church building used by the parish today. It is a contemporary design, in harmony with the setting, constructed of wood, with a steep gabled roof and interior arches of Douglas fir. A small spire on the roof marks the location of the altar.
 
1974
“To know Christ and to make Him known” became the mission statement of St. Paul’s Church under rector The Rev. Willis
Steinberg.
 
1975
A tracker action pipe organ added a new dimension to the already excellent music program. To give the community occasion for
appreciating the sounds of the outstanding organ, the music director introduced a series of Evensong Concerts open to the public. Currently, under the auspices of the St. Paul’s Music Guild, Sunday Evensong Concerts featuring choirs and guest artists from around the country and abroad are presented monthly.
 
1984
As parish roles grew the nave was enlarged and a vesting sacristy, elevator, gym-fellowship hall, small chapel and  columbarium were added. At this time, the very popular family night called Wednesday Night Live was created – a program featuring a mid-week Eucharist, soup supper, adult and children’s education classes and choir practices.
 
1996
At this time the church was recognized as the third largest Episcopal Church in Oregon with an excellent music program, a position it holds today. The parish remodeled and rebuilt the education and offices wing. During the 1990s, the church joined with other area churches in Interfaith Hospitality Network and Habitat for Humanity. A rector commented that he felt that the strength of St. Paul’s is its reservoir of talented people. In his words, “...now is the time to work together to release the possibilities for mission, worship, outreach and service that our Lord has in mind. We can look to the future with new and vibrant hope.”

 

Last Published: March 3, 2016 3:22 PM